‘Poms in Perth’ has 27,000 Facebook members and is one of the largest social media groups dedicated to Brits living in Australia.
Russell Burder, who emigrated from Canvey Island, Essex as an offshore surveyor in 2006, originally set up the group to keep in touch with his friends.
He explains how the group's membership has exploded and tells us what has kept him on the other side of the world.
Bullet points of key topics & time stamps:
● 00:51 – find out what ‘POM’ stands for (also written as “POME and “POHM”)
● 01:29 – find out about how the Facebook group was set up accidentally
● 04:38 – Russ talks about why his Facebook group is useful to Brits living abroad
● 12:48 - Russ tells us how he was sponsored by his employer to come to Australia
● 20:55 - Russ explains what FIFO (‘fly-in-fly-out’) work is
List of resources mentioned in episode, suggested reading & social media handles:
● Poms in Perth Facebook group (membership is limited to Brits living in Perth, Australia)
● More information on sponsorship visas
This episode is sponsored by The Scot Box.
A range of novelty Scottish care packages for "tartan hearts near and far who love the nostalgic taste of hame!"
Follow them on Instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/thescotboxscotland/
Add them on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/thescotboxsweets/
FOR 10% DISCOUNT USE CODE: BRITSTRALIAN
Britstralian Producer and Host: Anna Moran
Follow us on Twitter
Find us on Facebook
Join our Facebook community to discuss the show.
Britstralian acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the Land we have recorded this podcast on. The area now known as the City of Armadale was originally occupied by the Noongar people many thousands of years before European settlement. We pay our respects to their Elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures.
The views and opinions shared by the guest(s) in this podcast are the views and personal experiences of the guest(s) and are not necessarily representative of the views or opinions of Britstralian and the host.
Britstralian will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information.